As part of a joint venture, Balfour Beatty served as the general contractor for the construction of the Sacramento Blue Line light rail extension project. Starting from the existing terminus at Meadowview Road, the 4.2-mile double-track light rail extension operates in an exclusive, primarily at-grade right-of-way with four grade crossings. The project included four new stations along the line, terminating at the new Consumes River College transit center station. A portion of the line runs adjacent to the UPRR with one common grade crossing.
Balfour Beatty was responsible for constructing the track, stations and systems for the extension and integrating these elements into the existing light rail system at the Meadowview Road Station.
The major system elements Balfour Beatty provided include:
- 8.4-miles of auto-tension OCS along the 4.2-mile double track corridor
- Setting and commissioning of four owner-furnished Traction Power Substations
- Four highway grade crossing warning systems
- Microprocessor controlled interlockings
- Impedance bonds
- Train to wayside communication
- Communication cable network including fiber optic backbone
- SCADA system
- Security camera system
- System integration
The project was completed in August of 2015 in time for the start of the fall semester at Consumes River College.